Breathing volatile organic compounds (VOCs) can be incredibly injurious to human health (and you may not even realize you’re breathing it). So how do you keep occupants safe? The best method: install an air purifier for VOCs and formaldehyde at your premises.
From irritating your eyes, nose, and throat to damaging your nervous system and organs, the dangers of VOCs need to be addressed by something more powerful than just the typical run-of-the-mill air purifier.
To effectively remove VOCs, like formaldehyde, from indoor spaces where air pollutant levels can be two to five times as high as outdoor air, only the best air purifiers for VOCs and formaldehyde should be considered.
Our article will talk about the best air purifiers for VOCs, and what you should look for:
- Common VOCs Sources
- How a VOC Air Purifier Works
- Factors to Consider for the Best Air Filtration System
- The Best Air Purifiers to Combat VOCs
Where Do VOCs Come From?
VOCs are gases emitted into the air from products and processes. Like other gases, VOCs can react with other airborne chemicals and pollutants to affect indoor air quality while some have been known to cause cancer.
Common sources of VOCs include:
- Air fresheners
- Tobacco smoke
- Caulks and sealants
- Dry-cleaned clothing
- Paint and paint strippers
- Office printers and copiers
- Cosmetics and deodorants
- Flooring, carpet, and pressed wood products
- Fuel oil, gasoline, diesel, and industrial emissions
And while the list goes on, the main takeaway is that we aren’t getting away from VOCs anytime soon. That’s why having an air purifier that removes formaldehyde and other common VOCs, like benzene and toluene, is essential for maintaining safe, breathable air.
Do You Know the Difference Between an Air Cleaner and an Air Purifier?
Read this before you buy the wrong one for your home or office. (Hint: one don’t actually sanitize the air)
How do the Best Air Purifiers for VOCs Work
All air purifiers function similarly by sanitizing the air of airborne pollutants and large particles. However, the effectiveness and sanitation capabilities of an air purifier are determined by the type of filtration system used. Among the air filtering systems most commonly used to clean the air are:
Air purifiers with a true HEPA filter are mechanically-operated and ideal for the removal of airborne particles up to a size of 0.3 micros (µm). While a HEPA air purifier is great for catching small and large particles alike, such as COVID-19 contaminants and pet dander, when it comes to formaldehyde removal they are ineffective as VOCs are about 1,000 times smaller than HEPA filters can capture.
UV Light Filters
UV-C light filters kill and control mold, mildew, dust mites, VOCs, and other fungi. Additionally, a UV-C air purifier for VOCs kills microbes such as viruses and bacteria, thereby reducing the possibility of catching the flu or colds.
Activated Carbon Filter
Activated carbon air purifiers are capable of removing VOCs from the air using a process known as adsorption. Additionally, these air purifiers remove odors and help control humidity by removing excess moisture from the air.
Air ionizers are ideal for catching larger particulates but they are not effective for removing smaller particles. As a result, air ionizers aren’t capable of removing the gaseous molecules from VOCs, and like HEPA-powered air purifiers, should be avoided as individual air purifier options.
Note: Some air purifiers combine multiple filtration systems to improve efficacy and long-term performance. For example, HEPA and activated carbon filters are often combined – as activated carbon filters filtrate the smaller particles while the HEPA captures large particles.
Considerations for Choosing the Best Air Purifier for VOCs and Formaldehyde
Narrowing down your list for the best air purifier that removes formaldehyde and other VOCs involves weighing several factors from personal preference to system defaults, such as:
- Filter Type – Some filters, like HEPA, are ineffective for capturing VOCs.
- Local Climate – Regions with warmer and wetter climates are at greater risk for mold and mildew exposure than regions that are drier and cooler.
- Cost-Efficiency – Air purifiers that are cost-efficient, like portable air purifiers, can help you save hundreds on your energy bill.
- Available Budget – Portable air purifiers are easier on your dollar as in-duct air purifiers can cost thousands more with high installation costs and maintenance fees.
- Total Square Feet – In-duct air purifiers naturally eliminate the worries of purifying large spaces since it’s connected to an HVAC system, although portable air purifiers like the CleanAir Tower, which are commercial-grade, are capable of sanitizing the air in large spaces more efficiently and quietly while being far less expensive.
- Oxidant Capability – Air purifiers that contain oxidant chemicals, like those in activated carbon filters, have a strong proclivity for combating formaldehyde and other VOCs.
- Type of Air Purifier – For VOC and formaldehyde removal, portable air purifiers are more effective as in-duct purifiers can host mold and mildew that grows within the ductwork.
- Maintenance Requirements – Portable air purifiers are more user-friendly and don’t require HVAC technicians for routine maintenance (like in-duct air purifiers) but for the trade-off of more ongoing maintenance.
- Auditory and Aesthetic Preferences – Portable air purifiers are less loud, more efficient, and can take up minimum room while in-duct air purifiers, invisible to the surrounding area as they may be, tend to be much louder than portable purifiers.
|Find the Right Air Purifier to Keep Occupants Healthy:|
Best Air Purifier for Formaldehyde and VOCs
The best air purifiers for formaldehyde removal are portable air purifiers with a UV-C, activated carbon, or an activated carbon and HEPA filter set that are powerful enough to purify large areas like whole residential homes or commercial workspaces. While many portable air purifiers lack the robustness required, we’ve listed the best air purifiers for VOCs below:
CleanAir Tower (Commercial-Grade Air Purifier)
The CleanAir Tower is the ultimate air purifier for neutralizing VOCs and viruses.
Capable of pushing up to 1,400 CFM of air, the CleanAir Tower is powerful enough to sanitize large rooms while operating near-whisper quiet. Reducing the number of airborne particles by 90% and neutralizing harmful VOCs like formaldehyde, this purifier even knocks out COVID-19, viruses, bacteria, mold spores, dust mites, mildew, and more.
What differentiates CleanAir Tower from other air purifiers would be its optional 5-for-1* air filtration system that combines UV lamps, HEPA filters, Bi-Polar ionization, Photocatalytic Oxidation (PCO), and MERV-13 for the best all-around air sanitation.
Available on the larger CT-57 unit
Other Trusted Air Purifiers for VOCs
- EJ120 Air Purifier
- IG Air GC MultiGas Air Purifier
- AIRMEGA 400S Air Purifier
- Airpura F600 Air Purifier
Benefit From Using the Best Air Purifier for VOCs
From the household products we surround ourselves with to the emissions we breathe when on the road, VOCs are part of our daily lives. With concentration levels of VOCs being up to 10 times as concentrated as outdoor air, only the best air purifier for VOCs like CleanTower Air should be considered.
Our HVAC and air purification products are trusted by brands like Whirlpool, BMW, and Nissan. To learn more about CleanTower Air, connect with one of our specialists today.