Mass Timber Buildings are taking the spotlight as the next sustainable building style
Why Mass Timber?
Known for its breathtaking use of natural wood in place of concrete, there are more than 1,700 mass timber projects across the United States as of January 2023. Tate, Inc. reports that wood “is taking the construction industry by storm and becoming more common in building structures today.”
One of the few downsides to mass timber construction is the difficulty of running mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) elements, like air conditioning. Because of the construction methods and lack of internal walls or covered ceilings, it’s not easy for builders to find space to fit large ducts and vents. Many builders opt to leave ducts uncovered, but some property owners find it unsightly. The solution to the problem, however, is installing an Underfloor Air Distribution System (UFAD). Download this PDF to find out more or read here.
A UFAD system can be tucked neatly under a raised floor, using small, flexible tubes and multiple diffusers to distribute air evenly throughout the space. In addition to being more aesthetically pleasing, especially in open mass timber buildings, UFAD systems provide a wide variety of benefits:
- More energy efficient due to a well-designed return air path
- Reduced energy costs
- Longer life cycle by using smaller, energy efficient distributors that don’t need to work as hard to cool or heat a space
- Improved air quality by pushing air up and out of the space, instead of recirculating it for long periods of time
- Flexible wires and pipes for easy relocation
- Better air ventilation and circulation by working with the laws of physics and removing old, warm air at the ceiling and introducing cool air from the floor.
- Allowing you to get more floors in the same amount of space!
With easier installation and increased energy efficiency, UFAD systems can save you money on HVAC costs and offer higher returns on your investment. They’re truly the perfect cost-saving companion for mass timber projects.
UFAD address all of these concerns, and much more.
AirFixture is our preferred go-to expert for all solutions related to Underfloor Air Distribution. Their inputs help us with not only the design of the project but also successful execution and client satisfaction.
I’m always worried about trying something radically different in our projects. What if it doesn’t go to plan? What if there’s something we haven’t considered? Those concerns were completely unfounded with UFAD. it was far less complex, and way easier to plan and install than a traditional system.
Our Mass Timber Projects
Contact Our UFAD Experts!
Fill out the form today to get more information on how UFAD will help you reduce energy costs and improve air quality.