After nearly a year and a half of battling COVID-19, the country is ready to return to a more normal way of life. There’s a great deal of anticipation about students returning to the classroom, but also a lot of unknowns. A popular strategy for many schools and school districts is using an air purifier for the classroom.
“The question is, are air purifiers effective protection against COVID-19? And more importantly, which ones should you trust in your school?”
How Can Air Purifiers for Classrooms Stop COVID-19 Spread?
A typical K-12 classroom that has about 20 students is a good candidate for spreading the virus. If schools are to return to normal day-to-day operations, air purifiers can be good tools to help curb the rise of viral infections along with other issues like allergies and asthma.
In general, air purifiers work by:
- Drawing in air and passing it through a filter or a series of filters.
- Air moves through these filters and traps contaminants.
- Sanitizing technologies (such as UV light) purify the air which is then cycled back into the room.
A typical air purifier uses HEPA filters. These are basically tightly woven mesh designed to trap 99.97% of particles in the air that have a size of 0.3 microns.
While it isn’t naturally airborne, the COVID-19 virus (coronavirus) can be carried on small particles that are present in the air (such as dust, sneeze droplets, and more).
That’s where air purifiers can help arrest COVID-19 by trapping contaminated particulates. Various studies undertaken by the CDC reveal that using air purifiers with a HEPA filter for classrooms can significantly reduce the transmission of COVID-19.
10 Best Air Purifiers for Classrooms Against COVID-19
In no particular order, here are ten of the best air purifier systems for a COVID-free classroom you should consider for your school.
1. CleanAir Tower – Best Air Purifier for Classrooms to Protect From COVID-19
- The ultimate HEPA air purifiers for classrooms and indoor spaces. It’s high airflow rate offers unmatched air cleaning performance even in large classrooms and halls.
- It uses 3 sanitization technologies simultaneously for the cleanest indoor air that meets ASHRAE standards.
2. Blueair Blue Pure 311 Auto
- Automatically adjusts fan speed to compensate for the amount of pollutants present.
- Quiet performance and energy-efficient, but low airflow rate means you may need multiple in every classroom.
3. Winix 5500-2
- Three-stage air purifier with plasmawave technology.
- Good for eliminating smoke and odors, but lack of purification technologies (like UV), makes it less effective against airborne pathogens.
4. Molekule Air
- Like many portable air purifiers, it’s easy to carry around using a built-in leather strap.
- Uses PECO filters in trapping airborne pollutants, which may need to be changed frequently.
5 Dyson Pure Humidify + Cool
- Multi-purpose HEPA air purifier that also functions as a fan and a humidifier.
- Has lots of features that come at a high price, which will add up quickly if you’re installing units across the school.
6. Levoit LV-H132 Air Purifier
- Has a three-stage filtration system for cleaning the air.
- Low airflow rate means you’ll need multiple units in every classroom or risk inadequate protection.
7. GermGuardian AC4825 Air Purifier
- Has a three-speed setting with a filter replacement indicator.
- Uses a four-stage filtration system, but is designed for smaller rooms.
8. Austin Air Healthmate Standard Air Purifier
- HEPA air purifier for the classroom that can filter dust, smoke, and airborne pollutants.
- Effective 60 sq. ft. coverage means multiple units may be required even in small rooms.
9. Philips Series 2000 Air Purifier
- Equipped with sensors to automatically monitor clean air delivery rate (CADR).
- Includes true HEPA filtration but low air flow rate.
10. UV Care 8-Stage Air Purifier with Humidifier
- Cleans the air through eight-stage filtration and integrates a humidifier but requires frequent maintenance.
- Effective air purifier for COVID-19 in a classroom but potentially small support network.
Not Just a Classroom Air Purifier: Other Things That Can Impact IAQ
While air purifiers for classrooms remove contaminants from the air, there are many other things that can impact indoor air quality.
Temperature plays a very crucial role in the comfort of students and teachers, affecting productivity and enjoyment.
Classroom air that’s too dry may also cause breathing discomfort. Air that’s too humid can promote the growth of spores and mold.
High levels of CO2 can cause feelings of laziness and sluggishness. CO2 levels must be controlled especially if classroom occupancy is high with no access to outdoor air.
Air must be able to move freely without depending on opening windows. Stale air will affect temperature, humidity, and CO2 levels.
Make sure your indoor air quality strategy takes into account these factors.
Commercial Air Purifier for the Classroom
AirFixture’s CleanAir Tower is a commercial-grade air purifier for classroom settings. It can be used with existing HVAC systems or as a standalone unit.
With up to 1400 CFM airflow, it’s powerful enough to cover large indoor spaces. It combines industry-leading technologies for the best indoor air quality and maximum protection against COVID-19, including:
- MERV or HEPA air filtration
- Bi-Polar ionization
- UV light sanitization
Find out if CleanAir Tower is the best air purifier for your classroom. Discuss your requirements with an expert today.
For over 20 years, AirFixture has taken a scientific approach to improving indoor air quality. We’re at the forefront of innovative HVAC and air purification systems, helping customers maximize comfort and minimize costs.
Get in touch today!